Mike Pond’s personal journey has revolutionized how he treats addiction, especially for those battling concurrent disorders. Mike begins by sharing the 5 most pervasive myths about AUD. To illustrate these myths, Mike reads excerpts from his memoir, Wasted: An Alcoholic Therapist’s Fight for Recovery in a Flawed Treatment System. He shows outtakes from the documentary Wasted, which aired on CBC’s The Nature of Things, in which addiction experts use science to prove harm reduction is a more humane and effective approach in treating Alcohol Use Disorders. Using examples from his practice, he shares the successes of his clients using new therapies.
Who should hear this talk?
- First responders
- Social workers
- Addiction counselors
- Students in all these professional disciplines
Mike’s practice framework:
- A deep understanding of trauma
- The principals of harm reduction
- A belief in the healing power of working with families
- Reliance on evidence-based treatments
- All delivered with empathy, compassion and kindness